There are many ways to meditate. This is how I do it.
(1) Find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed for a specific period of time. If you are new to meditation try to do it for 10 minutes. If that is too hard try 5 minutes.
(2) Sit on a chair or the floor. Try as best you can to maintain good posture without straining yourself.
(3) Set a timer for the amount of time you want to meditate. Here is a link to a website with free online meditation timers. http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/meditation-timers/
(4) Choose a word that is meaningful to you. It can be religious or significant in some other way.
(5) Start the timer and close your eyes.
(6) If thoughts come in your head (especially thoughts about how boring this is) say your meaningful word internally until the thoughts go away. Probably once is enough.
(7) Do this for the entire duration of the time you selected. If thoughts try to convince you to stop, say your meaningful word internally until the thoughts stop.
(8) Try to keep a regular practice for a few days and do not judge yourself. If you observe yourself judging yourself say your meaningful word until the thoughts of judgement go away.